8th Grade Activities!!!
Dear Parents/Guardians and Eighth Grade Students,
It is hard to believe that the end of the year is approaching so quickly. To assist you in planning, I would like to share the following information regarding our special activities. If your child plans to participate, please complete the attached permission slip and return it to school with payment Friday, May 11th.
8th Grade Dance @ Memorial School - Friday, May 11, from 7:00 -9:00 p.m.
The dance is free to our 8th graders, and will feature a DJ, free yummy hot snacks, and other fun. Students are often curious about attire for such an event. Please reinforce with your child that although this is a special event for our students, it is not a formal event, and does not require any new or special clothing. Students most often wear the following:
Suggested attire for boys:
dress shirts with or without ties, golf shirts.
Suggested attire for girls:
skirts or dresses
Please encourage your child to attend this special evening with their friends!
Hershey Park in Hershey, PA: Friday, June 1, 6:45 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Busses will be departing for Hershey Park at 7:00 a.m. sharp. Students should board busses between 6:45 a.m. -6:55 a.m. for a 7:00 a.m. departure. To assist you in planning we would like to share the following information regarding the trip:
Students must remain in the park for the duration of the trip. For supervision reasons, students are not permitted to leave the park to visit Chocolate World or Zoo America.
- As guests at Hershey Park, students will be required to abide by all Hershey Park regulations, as well as any school rules that may apply. Any event that rises to the level of a student being detained by Hershey Park security may result in the student(s) not participating in other end of the year activities (i.e. picnic, yearbook signing, and other year end activities).
- Pants, jeans and shorts may be worn. The school dress code is in effect while on a class trip.
- For your safety and health, all Park visitors are required to wear shoes and shirts at all times. Sneakers are recommended footwear for this environment.
- Swimsuits may be worn in the Boardwalk area only. Students may not wear swimsuits outside of the Boardwalk area.
What to bring:
Students are solely responsible for any items they bring. They will be able to leave items on the bus while they are in the park, however they will not have access to the bus once they enter the park.
- Students must have their inhalers and epi-pens with them at all times. Any other medication should be given to Nurse Pinard.
- Sun block, sunglasses, hat or visor, and comfortable, safe footwear are recommended.
- Swimsuit and towel
- Food - Hershey Park will not allow anyone to bring food into the park without a doctor’s note indicating a diagnosed food allergy. The Minetown Restaurant and Planet Pepsi are gluten, nut, & dairy free. From our experience ONE meal (hot dog, soda, and fries) is approximately $15.00. Students will be in the park from about 10:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Lockers (optional) - Medium lockers are $15. They are about the size of our Gym lockers. Large lockers are $20. They are about the size of our regular 8th grade lockers. The park ALLOWS students to share lockers. Students are only allowed to use lockers inside the park.
- Students should not purchase/win large items as these items may not fit on the bus.
*Please refer to the Hershey Park website www.hersheypark.com with any questions regarding the park.
Hershey Park cost: $70.00
JCC Camps at Medford: Monday, June 18, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
The day will feature an ice cream station to make your own sundae, a DJ playing music, lunch and access to the camp’s pools and athletic fields. Students will leave Memorial School at 9:00 a.m. and return at 1:45 p.m. Students will ride their regularly assigned buses home. Due to our concerns for your child’s safety, students will NOT be allowed to walk to or from the JCC Camp. All students will ride our buses to and from the camp.
Recommended Things to Bring:
- Beach towel(s)
- Plastic bag for wet suit and towel(s).
- Sun block -#15 SPF or higher
- Sunglasses, hat or visor.
- T-shirt or tank top AND shorts
- Proper footwear is to be worn at all times except for the pool and tanning purposes.
- All medications should be labeled properly and given to Nurse Pinard. Anyone who uses an inhaler for any reason should bring it.
- Swim wear - Make sure swim wear is appropriate.
Picnic & Activities Cost: $30.00
*Commencement Ceremony: Tuesday, June 19, 2017– 6:30 p.m. at Lenape Regional Performing Arts Center (LPAC), Cherokee High School
(Friday, June 15, Practice at Memorial School &Tuesday, June 19th Practice at LPAC)
Tickets: Seating for the auditorium will be limited to two (2) tickets per family. Unlimited “overflow” seating with a live broadcast will be available to those family members and friends without tickets in the cafeteria. Tickets will be distributed to the graduates on June 15th; the tickets will be in your child’s graduation gown bag.
Students: Must report to the LPAC at 5:45 p.m.
Practice: June 19th, – students will be bused from Memorial to the LPAC for a final practice. Students will be bused back to Memorial at approximately 11:45 a.m.
Gown: Graduation gowns and tickets will be distributed on June 15th; the tickets will be in your child’s graduation gown bag. Please follow the instructions enclosed with the gown for pressing. As in previous years, girls will wear white gowns and boys will wear green. The guidelines for apparel to be worn under the graduation robe are as follows:
Dresses (light color) Dress shirt
Skirt and blouse (light color) Dress pants
Dress shoes Dress shoes
** Jeans, shorts or sneakers are not appropriate for this occasion.
Graduation Cost: $30
In summary, the total cost for each student includes the following:
Hershey Park $70
JCC Camps Picnic $30
Commencement Ceremony $30
$130 Due: Friday, May 11th
We look forward to a very positive end of the year. As always, if there is a financial concern or you need additional information, please call me directly at 654-7707 extension 8314 or you may contact Ms. Lash 654-7707 extension 8113, or via email email@example.com. Your cooperation and support in helping us plan for these memorable events is truly appreciated.
Peter D. Bisconte
crl Assistant Principal