What is an Elementary School Counselor?
· A person who helps all children
· A teacher
· A resource person for teachers and parents
· A friend to talk to
· A liaison
· A consultant
· A coordinator
What Does the Elementary School Counselor Do in the School?
· Meets with new students
· Conducts classroom lessons that conform with the New Jersey State Core Curriculum Standards
· Meets with children individually and in groups
· Consults with staff, parents, other professional agencies
· Observes children at work, lunch, and play, to gain greater understanding
· Serves on the Intervention and Referral Services Committee
Children Can See the Counselor About ALL Kinds of Things…
♥ good or bad feelings
♥ personal problems
♥ peer relationships
♥ school transitions
♥ problem solving skills
♥ changing inappropriate behavior
♥ feeling good about school
♥ dealing with a loss
Where Might the Child See the Counselor?
· Counselor’s office
· Small group settings
How Does A Child See the Counselor?
· Teacher referral
· Parent referral
· Principal referral
· Child Study Team referral
The School Counselor Works With Parents
· To discuss concerns
· To help parents understand…
J their child’s growth and development.
J their child’s feelings and behaviors.